Friday 29 January 2016

Applied Practice in Context - Activity 1

Welcome




This post is the first of ten activities which make up the two assignments for Mind Lab's Applied Practice in Context.  It is my 'welcome' post - a chance to share a little about myself and an overview of my teaching approach and style.

Who I Am

I am fifth generation New Zealander (on both sides of my family) - born and raised in South Auckland.   Being the youngest of four meant that I have learned to be patient, stand up for myself and get used to wearing hand-me-downs!

At the age of 20, I left New Zealand to travel the world.  My first stop was Camp America, followed by a solo journey across America courtesy of the Greyhound bus company.  Having never travelled overseas before, I quickly developed the necessary skills to cope with downtown bus depots and American processed food.  

For almost three more years, I continued my journey across the globe; through parts of Europe, UK and Africa.   On my return to New Zealand, I had a position where I was required to travel up to China a few times a year.   This, along with holidays to Australia and the South Pacific have continued to steadily fill my 'cultural' cup. 

I am the proud mother of two amazing daughters and wife of a very patient husband.   One daughter is beginning her final year at college and the other is about to start her third year of a four year degree in product design.  My husband is a builder, but would much rather be spending his days sailing and supporting any national sporting team (especially if they are playing Australia).  

In my spare time (or should I say 'time out' as no time is 'spare' at the moment), I enjoy spending time in my garden, reading, walking, swimming and dancing (when no one is looking).   I feel so fortunate to be living in a community where the locals smile and say "hello" as I walk by and regular events bring us together to catch up with one another. 




What I Do

2016 has brought about some changes in my career.  After ten fabulous years at Beachlands School (where I was given every opportunity to extend and be challenged), I am now beginning a new teaching position at Ormiston Primary School.  Here, I will be working alongside three other Learning Coaches within a Year 1&2 Learning Habitat with 87 Learners.



This change will enable me to work as a team - to support, observe and be observed in my practice.   It will provide me with learning opportunities that are not accessible in a single cell classroom.   I'm really excited about this change in career although I'm a little anxious about how long it will take me to learn the names of my 87 learners!

Teaching Approach and Style

I endeavour to provide a learning environment that is stimulating, raises curiosity and meets the needs of each learner.   I am not afraid to be innovative and try something new in order to make a difference or help to engage a learner.  To me, this is what makes teaching such a wonderful career.  Traditional methods can be blended with ever-changing technology; a planned lesson can be put on hold in order to seize an opportunistic moment; each day is different to the next and this is what I find so exciting.  

Education is changing.  It's not the same as that which I experienced as a child and at times I feel like everything is moving too fast and I would like to get off the 'bus' to catch my breath.  For some, it would be very easy to stay at that 'bus stop' - a place of familiarity and a sense of calm.  For me, however, I'm in for the journey and can't wait to see what's around the corner.   


Image sourced: http://responseabilitycoaching.com


No comments:

Post a Comment