Saturday 6 February 2016

Applied Practice in Context - Activity 2

Metacognitive Reflection on Learning and Practice

The past 24 weeks of study has been a personal journey that has impacted on my own practice and personal growth.  My previous understandings and beliefs have been both confirmed and challenged. It has also given me an opportunity to put myself in the shoes of my learners and that has enabled me to be more aware of the needs and support that they may require.

Key Competencies

Source: http://www.thinkgames.co.nz/webpages/competencies-of-mind/


In week 3, I reflected on the above key competencies to identify which ones were my personal strengths and which ones would I like to develop further.   Below was my response to this reflection:

Which of the following KCs are your personal strengths? 

Which of the following KCs would you like to develop further during the next 32 weeks?

How does your own KCs have an impact on your leadership?

How does your own KCs help you to create an environment and activities that foster your students' KCs?
Using language, symbols, and texts

Relating to others














Thinking

Managing self















My own KCs impact on my leadership through the way that I am seen and heard by - both students and colleagues. In a collaborative environment (which has developed very quickly over the past two years), there has been a greater need to reflect on the impact that I make. The feedback through voice and action help to direct which skills I need to work on.

I try to create a learning environment that makes each student feel comfortable and welcomed. To me, it's important to know my students - both personal and learning needs. In more recent times, I feel that I am able to provide greater support to my students through my ever-increasing awareness of the range of digital technologies that are available for the diverse needs of my students.



Development of Key Competencies

Do I feel the same five months later and which two key competencies do I feel I have developed the most over the past 24 weeks?

In week 3, I had included 'Managing Self' and 'Thinking' as the two key competencies that I felt needed further development.   As an oversight, I omitted to include 'Participating and Contributing' in this reflection. I feel that this key competency would have been in column two - requiring further development.    So which of these three key competencies have been developed the most? 

Firstly, I would say that thinking and the way I think has changed over the past 24 weeks.   In the first 16 weeks my weekly visits to Mindlab introduced me to new ideas and theories to explore and critique.  Each night I would drive the 50 minute trip home and ponder over what had been discussed during the session.  Questions developed around my current thinking, e.g. How do I lead?  What ways do I use technology to support learning?  Where could Monkey Jam support learning?  Is my planning agile?  How can I use gaming in education?   


The second key competency that I feel has developed over the past 24 weeks is 'participating and contributing'.  My involvement in learning communities such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+ has increased - both with posting and commenting.   I was previously involved in these communities, but more as an observer, rather than a participator.   Through these communities, I have been able to source answers to my questions (provoked by my thinking), provide feedback and generate new wonderings.  

In addition to online communities, I feel that there has been development in the way that I participate and contribute in team meetings, interact with colleagues and undertake professional development.  Learning and understanding generated by Mind Lab's postgraduate programme has played an important role in this development.   It has required that I question research and theories; not take information at face value, but ask how it will support and have a positive effect on the learning environment.   

Key Changes

I have identified two key changes in my practice that have taken place since July 2015:

  1. Providing alternative ways to assess learning and understanding
  2. Leading in alternative ways
In the first 16 weeks of the Mind Lab's postgraduate programme, I began to realise how it's important to 'do' the learning, discussion, collaboration and then prove understanding by putting this learning into practise.  This 'proving' didn't need to be in written form or yet again, another powerpoint. Instead, this 'proving' could be demonstrated with digital technology, e.g. movie, stop/go, claymation, creating a model etc. I have since made an effort to provide a learning environment where the learner can preview learning material and have an opportunity to be involved in discussions and/or work collaboratively to increase a sense of involvement and understanding in his/her learning.   The learner is then encouraged to 'prove' their understanding by applying this newly learned knowledge in some way, e.g. digital or traditional format.

Another key change was to look at the various ways that I can lead others.  I not fully aware of how different leadership traits (Charry, 2012) can impact on the desired outcomes.   Throughout 2014-2015, I was involved in some major changes within the learning environment with regards to technology platforms and BYOD.   After learning about the various leadership styles, I was able to reflect on how I had lead the change and gained a better understanding of how my actions played a role in the outcomes.   Since learning about leadership styles, I now consider each set of stakeholders and/or the community to identify which style of leadership would be best to support and lead a process of change.


References:

Cherry, K. & Cherry, K. (2016).  Do Great Leaders Share Certain Traits? About.com Health. Retrieved 15 February from,
http://psychology.about.com/od/leadership/fl/What-Is-the-Trait-Theory-of-Leadership.htm

Metacognitive image: sourced from
https://execusensoryandneuropedagogy.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/metacognition1.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment